Monday, November 2, 2009

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I certainly don't mean to jinx anything, but I think the worst may be over with this sickness. I only woke up a couple of times coughing last night and this morning I have hardly coughed at all. I am left with a very sore throat and it feels really fragile, like with one quick move I could be thrown into fits of coughing again. I am avoiding deep breaths, cold or hot air, scratchy foods, and singing along with the radio. The latter is the hardest for me.

In school news, the kids really like the folktale unit. I realized yesterday that they like it because we are primarily reading picture books-- which, for the first time this year, means they are probably reading on their level. Though some of my students are good readers, many of them are not. This unit lets them feel like they know what is going on.

The subject of karaoke has been broached for Thursday. I said yes, with no hesitation, as is my way. However, my voice will need to go through some major repair if I am to honor Bonnie Tyler in the way that she is accustomed. Right now I sound like a three pack-a-day smoker with a cold. I keep trying to tell myself that I sound sexy, but I know I sound diseased.

Tonight I am going to go see The Indigo Girls. Very, very exciting. I just love them. I very much hope that this coughing hiatus holds so that I don't hack through their show.
¶ 7:34 AM

I am not teaching today.

Sure, I'm present in the room. I have written the focus question on the board. But I am too tired to actually teach anyone anything. I tried first period, but now it is third and I just don't have it in me.

I have them all in groups and they are supposed to be reading to one another. Some of them are. Some of them are arguing. Some of them are reporting sports scores to one another. One is making markings on his arm that look suspiciously gang-like. I just am too tired to stop it or redirect them.

I know this isn't ideal. I know I should buck up and teach something. I understand that I am wasting precious instructional time. I just can't seem to get it together.

I am even so tired that I don't feel like going to the concert tonight. I will go because I know I would regret not going. But this sickness has plumb worn me out.

Someone just threw something. I have to go.
¶ 1:31 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment