Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Friday, August 13, 2004
I have a dilemma.

Every morning, the principal makes announcements in home room and then has everyone stand and do the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag. I have always generally refused to participate in this ritual. I think it's weird to pledge my allegiance to a flag and say "under god" and all that. It isn't that I don't love my country-- I just don't like the words to the pledge.

However, since my kids are asked to do it, I feel weird about not doing it. So, every morning I stand (in the back of the room) and let my right hand hover awkwardly somewhere near my throat and mumble. I think that some kid is eventually going to ask me why I'm not really saying the pledge and I am not sure how to answer that. I don't want to start any weird arguments with my administration about patriotism or anything.

I haven't blogged enough about how wonderful it is to live alone. Last night I cooked dinner, ate it, did some planning, and folded laundry-- all in the nude. What a wonderful world. I may never wear clothes to dine again.

Yesterday a maintenance man came and fixed my toilet because it kept running. I arrived home after my harrowing drive in hurricane winds and driving rain to find my front door open. After my little heart attack, I realized it was a man fixing stuff in my apartment. When he had gone I was struck by the awful and powerful body odor that lingered after him. It was so unnerving that he was physically gone, but I could smell his stench everywhere. I burned incense and said a prayer to the goddess.

That is all my news fit to print. ¶ 8:06 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment