Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday, October 14, 2004
I watched the debate last night. It is the only one I watched-- which is okay because I am not exactly standing on the fence as to who I am going to vote for. The only comment I want to make is that I sure am glad to hear that education has all the money it needs and that Bush didn't underfund us. Man, is that a relief. That silly Kerry, thinking we may need more. So I guess when my students ask me why we don't have enough books for everyone and when I am working my second job, I can be comforted by the fact that we really do have all the money we need. We're all set. Whew.

In unrelated news, the two janitors at my school are feuding. It is a real Hatfield and McCoy kind of situation (there is a great YA book about the Hatfields and McCoy's called "Coffin Quilt"--FYI). I tutor from 7am-8am in the mornings, so I am here earlier than everyone-- aside from the janitors. I am driven crazy every single morning by the fact that the two of them cycle in and out of my room, asking me about the weather, my health, etc. all in a thinly guised attempt to make me ask them about their health and lives. I don't mean to be unfriendly, but I get up at the butt-crack of dawn to get stuff done because I don't have time to stay afterschool, on account of my second job. Plus, they are rural Southerners, and I usually can't understand a word they say. Plus plus, one of them literally asks me the same two questions every single day. He has the memory retention of a goldfish, apparently, and I just don't have time for that.

So, for the last week, they have been feuding about some graffiti found in the bathroom. They cycle in and out of my room, watching the door to see that the other can't hear and give me their sides of the story. The elder janitor maintains that the younger "don't keep his watch, ma'am, don't....keep....his....watch!" The younger asserts that "that 'ol man always fussin' murmur murmur...something...fixin' to....anyhow!" And all the while, I stare longingly at the white board that I got up early to be able to fill with wonderful information and the minutes tick away. I can't escape them. And when I have gotten a little abrupt or even just simply said, "You know, I actually kind of have to do this or that", they sniff a bit and look very put out, as though I think I am just soooo high and mighty.

School politics are complicated.

¶ 4:04 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment