Thursday, October 29, 2009

Monday, October 04, 2004
Today we went to an assembly. At this assembly, a bunch of church kids sang songs about God. Then, in between songs, they told the kids "inspirational" stories. These stories were intended to have the kids turn their lives away from drugs and toward God. Things that were said at this public school this morning:

"My girlfriend had gotten pregnant. I was only thirteen. She had an abortion. That was when I realized things were serious! I mean, I helped commit murder! At only thirteen. She was the one who really murdered our child, but I was a little bit responsible."

"I thought that gangs were fun. But really all it was was people telling me to rape girls. So I raped ‘em. And it wasn’t cool."

"Now I don’t do drugs! Praise Jesus!"

What the hell should I do? I find it utterly reprehensible to tell a bunch of young (some of whom will be pregnant or already are) kids that abortion is murder. That isn’t the schools job. And I just find the raping girls comment disgusting and completely inappropriate for this age level, especially.

I don’t know what to do. Should I complain to the principal? Should I make a fuss? I mean, I was overlooking the fact that they were singing Jesus songs at school, but I think I am being asked to overlook a lot here.

Yikes.
¶ 9:07 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment