Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday, November 11, 2004
My kids and I have been having this weird period of them loving me. It is nice-- preferable to them hating me, I suppose-- but can get a little uncomfortable at times.

The other day one of my students came to hang out in my room before school. Some of the kids get dropped off for school way too early and since it is getting cold outside, I drag them in so they don't freeze. So this girl tends to come in a lot. This particular morning, she just sort of gazed at me for awhile. I finally asked her what was up and she said, "I just really like you. I don't mean to be cheesy, but I just do." I said, "Thanks. I like you too." But then she just kept staring at me. Then she went into this whole thing about how much she likes me and how she can't ask questions in class because she gets too nervous to talk to me and stuff. It was sweet, but also kind of uncomfortable for me. I know that some of the students are bound to crush out on their teachers-- especially when you are a young teacher-- but I would sort of rather them not talk to me about it.

Not to mention that this particular girl may have some serious issues. One day not long ago she came in with this sort of gleeful look on her face like she couldn't wait to tell me something. Then she said, "Did you read the paper this morning?" I hadn't. She then announced, "My uncle got chopped in half by a train!" She didn't seem upset by this. She just seemed pleased to be able to report it to me. I said, "Gee whiz! Were you close to him?" I was thinking that she couldn't be by the reaction she was having. She replied, "Yep. He used to live with us." Then she smiled. I didn't know quite how to react. I still don't. I just hope she is simply crazy and not dangerous.

In other news, come to karaoke tonight if you live here. If you don't live here, catch a plane and come anyway. I miss you, probably. ¶ 5:53 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment