Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Whew, it has been awhile, hasn't it?

Here is a topic that has been on my mind. The kids really smell. I know that this is a topic much discussed among middle-school teachers. I have read, even recently, some other blogs addressing it. I have mentioned it myself. But gee whiz. They smell so bad. Is it the hormones? The inability to detect their own mustiness? What really got to me yesterday was that I was trying not to breathe while teaching evaluative writing during last period and one of the kids raised her hand. When I asked her what she needed, she remarked, "No offense, Ms. R, but your room really stinks."

As though it is MY fault that the room reeks of adolescent armpit! As though I have somehow created a situation where feet stench seems to leak out of old plastic shoes! As if I had just spent the day consuming giant quantities of grape bubble gum with cheeto chasers and not brushed my mossy teeth! The nerve!

Nothing to be done about it. I am considering trying out the little kids. I would like to teach kindergarten, maybe. They stink too, but in a different kind of way. Imagine kids who like you and want to hug you... I guess you then have to imagine them peeing themselves and dissolving into tears ten times a day.

Maybe I'll become an accountant... ¶ 4:49 AM

I want to be a Carolina Roller Girl! (http://web.archive.org/web/20050526002749/http://www.carolinarollergirls.com/)

I want to wear skates and knee socks and knock people down! It is kind of a commitment-- like three days a week-- but wouldn't it be cool to tell people that you roller derby? Wouldn't I just rock? Don't you want to come join with me and drive to Raleigh a few times a week and get a little bit hurt? Huh? Don't you?
¶ 2:14 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment