Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sunday, September 07, 2003
I just had another delicious weekend. These weekends really sustain me through the week. North Carolina can be really beautiful, in places. I have been duped into hating it by having to live in a weird mini-city that thrives only on giant retail big box stores and fast food joints.

I have just gotten back from Chapel Hill where my friends Owen and Charles live. As always, hanging out with them reaffirms my presence on the planet and makes me feel human again. My friend Terri and I drove down there and I finally got to see where she lives: this smaller town called Henderson. Henderson is also a step up from Rocky Mount, where I live. I still wouldn't want to live there, but it is better than here.

Chapel Hill is a pretty cool town. It has many of the things that I am realizing I desire for a town, for example: a Whole Foods where I can purchase Goddess Dressing and more varieties of cheese than just cheddar and American, a music store with more than just Christian rock, and people with strange hair and piercings. Who knew I needed this? Both Portland and San Francisco have it and I always just took it for granted. No more.

We went to a graduate school party and I was surprised at how those Library Science folks can party. Then we rounded off last night by eating fried chicken, shredded pork, fried okra, and biscuits the size of our heads. I wasn't feeling so good after that, but I sure was feeling Southern. Today we went to a super cute coffee place owned by lesbians, Whole Foods, and Borders Books. Pretty splendid, altogether.

I think I am going to send off for information about University of North Carolina. I do like Chapel Hill and I do so love to live near Owen. It always feels strange when we are in different states. I would also like to spend more time with my friend Terri, who insists that I am not allowed to move, anyway. I don't know if I want to continue teaching, still. But I think I do want to spend more time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment