Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Blogging about being a first year teacher becomes a little boring when things are going well.

Most of the challenging students I had have moved on. Not that I am complaining...especially since they moved on to high school, mostly, instead of me having to send them down the river to an alternative school. I did get a new student today. I had heard about her from the teacher's class who she was leaving. That teacher said, "If you get her, you should consider resigning." So when she walked in, I was a little apprehensive.

But I gave her my student survey that I give all of the students. It asks questions like, "If you wanted me to know one thing about you, what would it be?" On her survey, she revealed that she wanted to "start over" and didn't want me to "listen to the hype" about her. So I took her outside and told her that I don't listen to what people tell me and that I judge by action. I told her that I expected that she was going to do very well in my class and sent her home with a note to her mom telling her that I was excited to have her daughter in my class. These are my anti-bad-behavior devices and hopefully they will work.

This afternoon, I planned on starting applications to grad schools...then realized that I don't have the qualifications to really get into any. I don't think I can pull that one off. So I changed tactics and looked up private school postions in the Bay Area. There are a million of them. I could potentially get hired at a number of schools. Of course, that would mean that I keep teaching...which, right now, when things are going well, doesn't seem so horrible. It also means that I could take an assistant teaching position, which is a little less stressful, maybe, and make just as much money. I am seriously considering doing it. Who would have thought?

Coming off of my great four day vacation is wonderful. My head is much clearer. I sang some great karaoke with Owen and then relaxed for the rest of the weekend, helping bake a vegan cake and making a fun mixed cd. I am tired and pleased today. ¶ 2:55 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment