Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thursday, February 26, 2004

Not to get all political...

But as I was watching the season finale of "The Bachelorette" last night, I was struck by the hypocrisy of all this "protection of the sanctity of marriage" stuff going around.

People all over are freaking out about the prospect of gay folks getting married-- because, of course, allowing that would somehow ruin the special and sacred institution of marriage to have it be anything but a man and a woman.

But how does meeting someone on television, going on a total of 6 dates or something, and then getting engaged uphold the sanctity of marriage? On "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" there is always an engagement. But there have been a bunch of seasons and only one marriage. I think that these shows are much more troubling to the institution of marriage than gay people.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love the shows. And I did cry last night when Meredith sent Matthew away and then cried again when Ian surprised us all by getting down on one knee. But, personally, I find it even more moving to see a gay couple who has been waiting decades for the right to get married finally say their vows. ¶ 3:15 AM

1 comment:

  1. I think that highlights why people are worried about the institution of marriage. People see the divorce rates and that its rare that a couple would stay together for life and then see the definition of marriage changing and they do not like it. I think if people were consistent they would focus on "fixing" attitudes about heterosexual marriage before rallying against gay marriage.

    Just some thoughts from a conservative who often feels he needs to apologize for his views.

    Mike

    CHARACTER EDUCATION KANSAS

    ReplyDelete