Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Everything is going so well! It is pure insanity.

I am teaching a drama lesson. So we are reading a play about Anne Frank. The kids have never heard of Hitler or the Holocaust and all they could say about being Jewish was "they are going to hell". They are very devout Christians, almost without exception...or perhaps without exception. When I explained (basically) what being Jewish meant, they conceded that it wasn't terribly different from their own beliefs. So we have been having huge discussions about all of this. And by discussions, I mean that they are actually participating and listening. This is pretty new.

I have lost several students to high school. Many of my second year eighth graders have been moved up. This is a great thing because it didn't seem like it was going to happen. I am thrilled. I now have tiny classes and the hardest kids are gone...well, most of them. I keep having to pinch myself when I think of how much I have covered in class over the last two days and how...well, pleasant...the children are being.

Stay tuned for the inevitable crash from this pleasing delirium. ¶ 11:56 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment