Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Friday, March 12, 2004

I had a really good day today.

It was one of those days where I am reminded that Teach for America is right on a lot of what they say about how to teach. It is hard to be a good TFA teacher in your first year, but now that I have my kids solidly under control, I have started using some of their tactics and it seems to be working...much to my delight.

I implemented a process for them to be able to pass their end of grade tests. I have been serious stress case about these tests. But the process is really working! They are taking these small testlets and they get to chart their progress on a graph in their notebook. I also chart the class average on a big chart in the classroom. They are ranked against the other periods I teach. So it is now competitive. I also today added a bonus of the first class to get to 100% on all of their objectives gets a pizza party. I thought that was too contrived for them and expected them to say "Whatever. I can just buy pizza." But they went nuts and now they are asking to take even more of these testlets and begging me to hold afterschool help sessions. Wow.

So I feel good about that. I also feel like the weather is changing and it seems to be bringing with it more thoughts of the fact that this time in North Carolina is ending. I definately feel like I have started the process of disconnecting from here. I am talking a little more with friends in the Bay, trying to get job leads, etc. I still don't know about my transfer, but I guess I am just going to go with the flow. It is a sad time, in a way, but exciting, too. There is always that mixture when leaving one place and the people there to head to another. ¶ 1:59 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment