Monday, June 1, 2009

Sunday, July 06, 2003
Oh! Jaime, if you are reading this, I don't have your email and I can't respond to the link in my comments section! Will you email me at grrlsprout@hotmail.com and give me your address? Miss you!! ¶ 9:52 PM
Austin is a pretty interesting city. I feel like I didn't really get to see much of it and the part I did see did not make me fall in love with Texas in any way. I still don't see a reason to return here ever.

However! Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic was a damn hoot. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I have a definate affinity for festivals of any kind, so I knew I would love it for that reason. But this was a rockin' country festival and I have never been to one of those. There was a lot of unveiled sexism yelled into microphones, big blond haired women lifting their shirts at the request of the men on stage, and one weird but fairly racist comment made by a band. But I had a really good time. I was glad not to know the politics of the people playing because I am sure that many of them would have offended me. But I didn't know, so I was trying to two-step all night and rockin out. I learned that I don't really like Neil Young...I do like the folky stuff, but he just rocked out in the free world all night and I fell asleep. I also learned that Billy Bob Thorton is the most whiney individual I have ever had the displeasure to pay money to see. But Patti Griffin was amazing, as was Willie Nelson and some of the other people that I saw.

I bought a cowboy hat and wore it all day. I'm loving that look. I don't know if it would transfer to the Bay Area, but it might transfer to North Carolina alright. All and all, I had a great weekend. The people I went with were awesome and I laughed a lot-- a much needed thing. But now I am back and I am really behind in my lesson plans. I am going to go to my boss tomorrow and tell her that I really really don't know what I am doing. I will probably be put on a "corps member improvement plan", which means that someone will help me write my plans. It is supposedly a bad thing, but I swear, all I want is some help. I am enjoying my time a little more, but the teaching thing is not going so well...and last time I checked, the teaching thing was why I am here.

All is well and hot and stifling in Houston... ¶ 9:48 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment