Monday, June 1, 2009

Thursday, July 03, 2003
I have my kids a test today. I was thinking the content might be too hard. So I made it a multiple choice test. What I failed to consider was that these kids had never ever seen a multiple choice test in their lives. Not only did they not understand the questions-- they didn't understand one thing about the format. I realized instantly that for every question I was going to have to explain the number the question was, like number one for instance. Then I had to explain each word in the question. Then I had to explain the colon that noted that the question was over. Then I had to explain the meaning of the a), b), c), d) format.

Well, you can see my point, I'm sure. By question two all of my kids were pushing their quizzes away as though they might explode in their faces. Have you ever heard the sound of eighteen children's confusion? It sounds like a dull roar. What I did do today was give them an hour long opportunity to feel dumb. And that has to have some lesson in it, doesn't it? I mean, life is full of stuff like that!

Aaargh. Have you ever done something you just didn't feel very good at? This is how I feel. I now know for a fact that I should have taught elementary school. I am good with the little ones. It feels natural. This feels like trying to breathe under water.

But we rented a car today, we have tickets for Willie Nelson's Fourth of July Picnic and we will party it up in Austin all weekend. I am very excited to have fun in Texas. I am on the search for a cute cowgirl or two. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment